Thursday, January 5, 2017

November 5



Wow, what a difference having Elwa around has made. Mom likes her company. I like her company. And she was right about having a woman around I can pour my heart out to.

I feel like there is nothing I can’t tell Elwa. Worries about Anrel? As a mom, she’s been there and done that. Being courted? Ditto. Dealing with Mom? While she didn’t have as tumultuous a relationship with her own mother, Elwa listens to me and asks the right questions about our past. Plus she is getting to know Mom herself and hearing her side of things.

Elwa doesn’t give advice so much as tease out the answers I’m searching for from me. She does give me the benefit of her own experience where it seems appropriate, but she keeps saying, “We are different people, Shalia. Your goals and mine at your stage of life are not quite the same. All I can do is tell you what I see from the outside. It’s up to you to decide what is right.”

Another unexpected boon: her clanmates. Much like Clan Aslada, they come from wealth and privilege and are powerful men in their own realms. Whether it is Jaon’s reluctance to let me train, Aslada’s tendency to make decisions for me without benefit of consultation, or Meyso’s occasional inability to understand why I get irritated by certain things, I only have to talk to Serndi, Hilon, and Alfra to give me insight into how their minds work.

Best of all, I’ve got time to spend with my prospective clan under less stressful circumstances. Yesterday, Aslada and I began work on his first vid project: getting a second Matara Complex established in his territory. We brainstormed ideas, put together an outline for the project, and had members of his staff get to work on the budget.

Another delightful turn has been making love without feeling the desperate need for escaping stress. Looking back on the first couple of times we were together, I feel I was frantically using Clan Aslada to hide from all the anxiety that came with Mom’s slow recovery. Sex has become much more honest, much more about us. Maybe it’s not as relaxed yet as we’d like it to be. We’re still juggling timing because I have to plan around spending time with Mom, Anrel, and Clan Serndi. But things are loosening up, and no one, least of all me, has anything to complain about. Our naughty parts mesh together quite well, thank you very much.

Like I told Aslada, Meyso, and Jaon, getting to know each other under less than ideal circumstances has been something of an advantage. This testing so early in our courtship has allowed us to get to know each other quicker than we might otherwise have. So far, so good. The guys are making a strong case for themselves as my happily-ever-after.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy Shalia's story...eager for another book! 😘

    ReplyDelete