Monday, December 12, 2016

October 27



Well, Mom is finally talking to me. Actually, snarling would be a better description.

She’s getting more coherent by the day. Her words come in fits and starts, but she’s stringing together complete thoughts now. Not necessarily thoughts anyone wants to hear, but it’s still a victory, right?

This morning, I walked in to be greeted by a glare. Her head wove slightly from side to side, but she was able to keep that angry stare on my face as I came over and planted a kiss on her forehead. The rest of her was still, held down by stasis. She keeps trying to push off the cross-arm computer panels of the medi-bed and escape, even though it’s certain she doesn’t have the strength to stand yet. Still, it became clear she might hurt herself.

“Good morning, gorgeous,” I said, ignoring the furious scowl greeting me. “You look good today.”

“Get. Me. Out. Of here,” she rasped, her words halting but clear.

“No can do, sunshine. You’ve got a lot of recovering to do.”

“Don’t. Want to. Be here. Those. Fucking. Kalqs. Keep. Fucking. With me.”

“The Kalquorian doctors are healing you,” I said. “Your dementia is gone. Do you remember getting the diagnosis on Earth?”

Her lips wrinkled back in a snarl. “Not. Ever. Sick. Always. Fine.”

I sighed. This was going to be an uphill battle all the way, but I’d expected that. “No, Mom. You had dementia. I had to put you in a care facility because you weren’t able to live safely on your own anymore.”

“This. Is not. Earth.” She said it flatly, not questioningly. “Take. Me home.”

I swallowed hard. I didn’t think too often of the state of the planet I’d come from because it hurt too much. I wondered how Mom was going to take the bad news, but there was no way to sugarcoat it.

As gently as possible, I told her, “You don’t remember, but there is no longer a home to go back to. When the Kalquorians tried to invade, our government turned Earth into a nuclear wasteland. Earth is dying, and we had to leave. Forever.”

She blinked, but the fury in her eyes didn’t dim. “Where. Are we?”

“On Kalquor. They felt terrible about how the war ended and their part in it. They’ve offered us sanctuary.”

It was an overly simplistic explanation, but I figured Mom could only take in so much at once. She’d get the full story in the weeks to come.

For now, she was not impressed with what little I’d given. She scowled at me. “You. Are an. Idiot. Shalia.”

“Yeah, well it’s nice to see you too.”

“Keep. That. Shithead. Away. From. Me.”

“Which shithead would that be, Mom?”

“You. Know. That. Ass. Hole. Kini.”

I tried not to laugh. I’d been present each time Kini came in and talked to Mom. He’d been pleasant and cheerful, telling her about himself and how he wanted to help her adjust to her new existence. Mom being Mom, she didn’t want to adjust to anybody else’s vision of how she should live.

“Dr. Kini is nice, Mom. He’s trying to make things better for you.”

“Are. You. Fucking. Him?”

Classic Eve Monroe. And here I’d been worried I wouldn’t recognize her after the surgery. I shook my head, as much at the question as the realization that it was Same Shit, Different Day.

“No, Mother. I am not having sex with Dr. Kini.”

“Are. You. Fucking. Kalqs?”

Here we go, I thought. “I have been approached by Kalquorians who want me to join their clans. I am not clanned yet, but I have made friends with Kalquorian men. And yes, I have taken lovers. They are good people.”

Her brows drew down, and she looked away from me. “Stupid. You. Are a. Slut.”

“You were never a saint yourself, if I remember correctly. After Dad walked out on us, there were a couple of men.”

“Fuck. You. I didn’t. Fuck. Aliens.”

“Well, you missed out. I highly recommend it.”

Her burning gaze was back on me. “You. Put. Me. Here.”

“To help you. To let you recover and lead a normal life.”

“I was. Fine. You. Let. Them. Screw. With my. Head.”

I shrugged. “I didn’t think you were fine. Neither did anyone else. Maybe now you can be.” I had made my decision. For better or worse, we were all in. “I agreed to the procedure because I love you. That was my one consideration, even though I knew you’d be pissed off with me.”

She turned away again. “Go. Away. I don’t. Want. To look. At you.”

I left for about an hour. When I poked my head in again, she instantly said, “Get. The fuck. Out. Alien. Fucker.”

And that’s been the response each time I go in. Sometimes it hurts enough that I have to hide and cry. Sometimes I don’t feel anything about it except tired resignation. Sometimes I laugh, because it strikes me as funny. Mood swings are me. Maybe I need a regulator in my brain too.

She ordered me out when Kini made his daily visit. She ordered him out too, but he stayed. I could hear her yelling at him from the waiting lounge the entire time he visited her. I guess she appreciates her one new freedom on Kalquor; the nonstop profanity would have landed her in prison on Earth. Boy, did she ever indulge herself on that account.

Meyso, the nurses, and orderlies got their fair share as well. I’m sure I’ll hear her rasping yells in my sleep tonight in an endless stream of foul language. It’s got me rethinking my plan to surprise her tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. OMG she wants to bring our littlest worrier up to meet grandma. Heck I'd tell her "get well quick, I'll have them move you to the Earther's colony and you'll never have to see US again."

    ReplyDelete