Thursday, December 29, 2016

November 1





I was happy to hear from Betra and Oses today. I miss those two. They looked healthy and delicious, as always. They said all was well and the journey was going great. Their spirits seemed to be up.

I caught them up on Mom’s progress. “She’s high and low. There are moments when I can see she’s not so extreme in her emotions, which is great. But like everyone said, anger and depression are her defaults after reacting that way for so long. She doesn’t know how else to deal with the uncertainty over what the future has in store for her.”

“At least she’s able to talk to you. It’s great that she loves Anrel so much,” Betra said.

“I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am about that,” I enthused. “Anrel is the one person she can pour all her goodness into. But enough about us. What’s going on with you two?”

“The usual,” Betra said, his tone vague. “A little of this and a little of that. Not much to report since we’ve only left Kalquorian space recently. However, we’re going to make the first vortex jump in a couple of days.”

“Oh.” My spirits fell a little hearing that. “No more real-time conversations. At least not until you reach those mini-wormholes that allow instant transmissions.”

Oses nodded. “We’ll have to rely on recorded messages, pet. I will miss hearing immediate updates.” His brows drew together. “I hate that I can’t mobilize help for you if you need it.”

I shrugged. “Nobek Jaon is pretty protective. When I get back to the other continent, Larten will be nearby. I’m no lightweight myself.” I attempted a Nobek-like growl, much to the guys’ amusement.

Oses looked at me with pride. “You are a formidable foe. Ancestors help anyone who makes an enemy of you.”

We were close to wrapping up our conversation when Betra said, “By the way, you’ve got a surprise heading your way. Be ready.”

“For what? What did you send me?” I wanted to know.

“We didn’t send you anything. You’ll have to wait and see when it arrives.” His grin was full of mischief.

“Are we talking something good or something that will make me run screaming?” I glared at him in suspicion.

“I think you’ll like it, unless you lied to me about how you felt about it before. Which maybe you did. In any case, know that what’s coming is a result of another’s concern and caring about you and Anrel. It is a gift from the heart.”

“Betra!” I yelled in frustration. “What is it?”

He only laughed. “Enjoy. We’ll talk one last time before we get to the portal, and you can tell me how you like it.”

No number of threats, begging, or bribery could get him to tell me what was up. When I asked Oses, he held his hands up and shook his head.

“I’m not getting in the middle of this one. There are some situations even a Nobek will avoid at all costs.”

Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment