Monday, May 16, 2016

September 9, part 1


We are leaving the space station. On to our next stop: Haven Colony. The Pussy ‘Porter is still a mess, and Rel didn’t have everything it needed to safely finish its journey.

Based on Betra’s suggestion, I mentioned to Katrina it might be worth having her clanning ceremony during our layover on Haven. She considered the idea.

“It’s either that or Kalquor,” she said. “I wanted to check Haven out anyway. That way, I can make a recommendation to my daughter on whether or not she should push Matthew to settle there.”

“If he brings his family into Empire space, you’ve got a better chance of getting him to accept your choices,” I mused.

“That’s the idea. I’ll take a look at what Haven has to offer before we get there and see what my clan says about it.”

“Make up your mind soon,” I advised. “If this ceremony is happening on Haven, we need to pull it together fast. We’re only days away.”

Katrina sighed. “I know. Tell me again why I’m doing this to myself? Why I’m not simply happy with Wotref filing the paperwork and calling it good?”

I gave her a hug. “Because it’s a big deal and you should celebrate. Besides, Candy will never let you hear the end of it if you don’t have an actual ceremony.”

Candy’s got her own love story going on. She and Stud Man hit it off once she relented and let him take her out. Every moment he wasn’t training the troops, he spent with her. Now she’s starry-eyed.
It’s all Stidmun, Stidmun, Stidmun. She can’t talk about anything else except for the occasional word about Katrina’s upcoming ceremony.

I smell trouble heading her way. There had been easy affection for her lovers Mihi and Ama, but this is something different. Because I worried about her, I tried to talk some sense into her yesterday during dinner. We sat in the station’s mess hall, waiting for Stud Man’s glorious appearance.

“Ah, Candy? Is he clanned?”

“No,” she said, her gaze faraway as she twirled a lock of hair around one finger. “He’s been concentrating on his career and isn’t even sure he wants a Dramok and Imdiko.”

“So ... he’s not in the market for a Matara.”

“There haven’t been any for him to shop for,” she grinned. “But here come us Earther girls, so his chances are vastly improved.”

“Not if he doesn’t get himself clanned,” I pointed out.

“Hmm.” Candy didn’t seem worried about the matter. “I suppose that’s true if he wanted to make something official.”

My suspicions grew. “You’re going to Kalquor to find a clan.”

“I guess.” Her look darkened for a moment. “I have plenty of time for that. Two years. There’s no rush.” Her eyes glazed over again and a slight smile touched her lips.

It was pretty obvious to me this wasn’t a mere attraction on Candy’s part. I’d made jokes about love at first sight before, but it’s starting to not be funny. Cupid’s arrow found a target right on my friend’s heart.

Adding to the drama is that Stud Man seems every bit as smitten. His face lights up when he walks into a room where Candy is. When they’re together, his gaze barely leaves her face. He hangs on her every word.

Heaven help those two if they are that gone over each other. I know it’s not impossible for them to have a relationship, but there are hurdles to it. All I can do is wish them luck. They do make a pretty pair.

Something a little closer to home is weighing on me. I hate to borrow trouble, but no one has heard anything about Nang in some time. I’m sent into a panic every time there’s a sighting, but not having any idea about where that man is feels worse somehow. I’ve started looking up some admittedly paranoid things, like how to escape hover cuffs, stasis fields, and containment fields. Then I think how crazy that sounds. Would he really go that far?

I can’t live in fear. But I have to be ready for anything.

Maybe Nobek Jaon has news for me. I’m due to com Clan Aslada anyway, or at least Meyso. With us almost to Kalquor, we need to plan for my mother’s procedures.

So much to do and get ready for. The days are starting to fly by like minutes now.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Candy, Stidmun is unclanned and he lives on a training space station kinda far from his home planet to just drop by the Marta compound to say hi or have a booty call with Candy. Even if Candy stays on Heaven its still a bit of a flight for Stidmun to come visit her. (ಠ_ಠ)I feel bad for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Candy, Stidmun is unclanned and he lives on a training space station kinda far from his home planet to just drop by the Marta compound to say hi or have a booty call with Candy. Even if Candy stays on Heaven its still a bit of a flight for Stidmun to come visit her. (ಠ_ಠ)I feel bad for her.

    ReplyDelete