Monday, May 23, 2016

September 10



It’s been a big day for Katrina. She and her clan have decided to have their ceremony on the colony of Haven. They’ve apparently built this amazing Temple of Life there, headed up by the Kalquorian governor’s Imdiko. So the priest on board the Pussy ‘Porter is pulling things together with the main priest on Haven.

Katrina came to my quarters with Candy in tow and a bottle of bohut to toast her good fortune. “This isn’t even the really big news,” she said as I found cups to pour our booze into. Anrel was having her nap, so I decided one drink wouldn’t end the universe.

“You’ve got more news?” Candy asked.

“I’m saving that to knock your socks off with in a few minutes. Anyway, my Imdiko is taking care of what will be said in the vows with the priest on board. The priest – oh, what is his name?”

“Imdiko Tineb,” Candy supplied. She sipped her bohut and rolled her eyes in pleasure.

“Right, Tineb. He’ll do a bunch of ‘do you, will you, do you promise’ stuff, which we’ll all answer yes to. It will be quick and painless, thank goodness. This other priest – crap, I’ve forgotten his name too.”

“Your age is showing,” I teased.

“Fuck you, whippersnapper,” Katrina said with a grin. “His name sounds something like ‘rivet’ or ‘ricket’. Anyway, he’s going to decorate the temple. So all I have to do is roll out of bed, put my clothes on, and show up.”

Candy blew a raspberry. She really wanted Katrina to have a big blowout of a ceremony with ribbons and doves and roses covering everything. In short, the exact opposite of what Katrina wanted. “Romance is dead,” she said in a flat monotone. “You’ve killed it.”

“But the sex is still wild,” Katrina informed her. “We’ll have a party afterward too, which this Rivet or Ricket or whatever his name is will take care of the arrangements for. The Kalquorian governor is supplying leshella in honor of the first clanning on Haven. He’s some rich guy, a former councilman or ambassador or some such important dick.”

“Nice!” I exclaimed. “What’s the Earther governor supplying?”

“They don’t have one yet. The colony is still getting its legs under it. They’ve only got about twenty Earthers there so far, but with free land and materials to start with, that will change pretty quick.”

“Are you still hoping Matt will go there?” I asked.

Katrina beamed. “I don’t know. But since you brought him up, let me tell you my really big news.”

Candy squealed with excitement. “He’s asked for your forgiveness!”

Katrina snorted. “Not hardly. Matt is still not speaking to me. But he did let my grandchildren com. I got their message this morning.”

That got Candy and me on our feet jumping up and down with joy. Could there have been a better clanning present given to Katrina? I couldn’t imagine it. The happy tears in her eyes spoke volumes about the hope that had been restored to her.

“What did they say?” Candy asked once we’d calmed down enough to talk again.

“Just ‘hi Grammy, we love you, we miss you, can’t wait to see you, send us a message’. I don’t think they know why we were cut off.” Katrina sighed, her face alight with pure bliss. “Of course I commed them right away to tell them how much I love them. I’ve been walking on air ever since.”

I’m so thrilled for Katrina. She’s been such a friend to me, and I want her to have all the happiness she deserves. Today was the reward karma owed her. With us scheduled to reach Haven Colony tomorrow and her ceremony the next day, I’m hoping for more of the same. I’ve really got my fingers crossed for her to live happily ever after.

Only one thing put a damper on my day. I received the legal forms that would give me the right to make all life decisions for my mother. I’m still struggling with that issue. I’d rather take on Tragooms rather than have to determine Mom’s future for her.

The only thing I’ve decided is to put off making a decision. I’m going to enjoy shore leave on Haven, have a blast at Katrina’s clanning ceremony, and try not to worry about anything for a few days more. Maybe I’ll poll my friends for their opinions too. This feels too big for me.

2 comments:

  1. I understand her feelings about mom. My Grandmother and my step father live with me. Mom is here too but grams and dad are the main "problem". Grams has dementia and dad has Alzheimer's. Mom and I take care of them, it's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand her feelings about mom. My Grandmother and my step father live with me. Mom is here too but grams and dad are the main "problem". Grams has dementia and dad has Alzheimer's. Mom and I take care of them, it's no fun.

    ReplyDelete