Monday, November 16, 2015

August 5, Part 1




(Early)

Anrel’s condition has upgraded again! Her current environment is at the last step before she is to leave Isolation entirely. We are all so excited. Everyone who knows me is shouting congratulations. At lunch, Captain Wotref came to the table I sat at with a bottle of leshella to toast to my baby’s continued improvement. He made the nicest speech too.

“Matara Shalia, I had never met an Earther before I was called upon to transport all of you to the Empire. I had heard stories of frightened, weak Earther women, women who were cowed by an unjust society to the point where they trembled all day long. You and the rest of these amazing Mataras—“ here he gave Katrina a special smile that made her blush with pleasure “—have shown us time and again that not only are you strong, capable people; but that the most fearsome Nobek should quake in fear at your approach!”

That got a round of laughter. Oses made a show of nodding and grimacing as if terrorized, making us laugh all the harder.

When we quieted, Wotref became a little more serious. His careworn face kind, he said, “In all honesty, Matara Shalia, I don’t believe I have ever known a more resilient, stronger person than you. I am delighted to note that your daughter, as young and small as she is, seems to have inherited that same ability to overcome odds that would make many a man crumble. I congratulate you both on all you have withstood. Long life, great health, and honor to you.”

I blinked back tears as I raised my glass and thanked him. He gave me a deep bow, which was echoed by all the Kalquorian men in the room. I was astounded that they thought so much of me. Shalia Monroe, the Earther who seemed to trip over trouble on almost a daily basis? I felt I really hadn’t deserved such notice.

The leshella was damned good though. I wasn’t about to refuse that.

(Later)

Shit. Shit. Fuck. Fuck! FUCK!

I just received a message. From Nang. From fucking Nang.

He’d recorded it while still within Earth’s system, before he got to Xniktix Station. That son of a bitch had the fucking gall to think I’d want him to come after me!

Okay, I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll start from the beginning.

After Tep chased me out of Anrel’s room this afternoon, I went to physical rehab. That therapist Dramok Resan is a bastard, always pushing me to go a little harder than I feel comfortable doing. To say we don’t get along would be putting it lightly.

I came into my quarters after, wringing with sweat, my legs all trembly from exertion, and calling Resan more bad names than he’s probably heard his entire life. I saw right away that a message had been left for me. So I played it.

My stomach became a ball of ice when a familiar resonant voice came from the com unit. “Hello Shalia. It’s Nang.”

My legs, already weak from therapy, damned near dumped me on the floor. I just barely managed to get to my lounger before dropping. I saw my reflection on the wall mirror: eyes wide open, mouth gaping like a landed fish. Horror doesn’t begin to describe how I looked at that moment.

Meanwhile, Nang’s voice rolled on. “I learned of your pregnancy. I know in my heart that I am the father. All the times we spent together – all the fun we had – Shalia, I know you are hoping I will come for you and our child. That we can be the family we are meant to be.”

He was delusional. It was obvious. His tone had that fervent ring that religious fanatics get when they talk about being called on by God.

“I’ve left Trenu and Kru. They have no place in our lives. I never should have clanned them. You and I and our baby are clan enough. I love you both with all my soul. This was meant to be, so we will find a way to live without Kalquor.”

Then he said the words that chilled me to my very core. “I am coming for you both. I will find you and I will take you away. Nothing – no one – will stop me.”

That’s where the message ended. I’ve already commed Oses and he is on his way.

15 comments:

  1. Hey Tracy, maybe I'm confused since its been a few books ago and I don't have time to go back and look through them now but wasn't Nang's Nobek named Sfit or something like that? I don't recognize the name Kru from any of your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His name is Kru. Do a search in the upper left corner for Kru and it will take you to where he is first mentioned.

      Delete
    2. must have got him mixed up with someone else and I has been awhile since I read the first books

      Delete
  2. If anyone was still rooting for Nang before this entry, there should no longer be any doubt of his obsessed stalker status, nor of Shalia's feelings about him. I guess it is inevitable that her troubles would continue even once she reaches Kalquor. Poor Shalia! But lucky readers we are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While Nang was never going to win Shaila and is probably going to end up dead I'm still a poor crazy Nang fan but I think that might just be from the picture rather than the character....

      Delete
  3. Oh, I don't like Nang, never have but this is going to be a great story line, We know becomes of the tracker both she and Anrel have they will be found fast (if taken) I just hope nothing happens to Oses, I could see him dieing for both Shalia or Anrel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to go back and reread the first books. Just to refresh my memory

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Nang in the beginning. Then he set things up so Shalia couldn't use her safe word and my opinion changed right then. Anyone that could do that isn't interested in their partner's well being. He just became more and more scary. I must admit that as a reader I'm thrilled for his return.

    I'm interested in Dramok Resan. Everyone hates their therapist because of the pain and the hard work. It takes a Darmok to be able to do a difficult job like that. How will she feel in the end?

    I'm still rooting for Clan Seot, they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love or hate Nang, but I had to laugh when I saw the amount of comments he has generated. Good Ol Nang is stirring the pot again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he is no less obsessed than Roses or Bedra. If I remember correctly she found him nearly irresistible and was only angry with him because he kept her from planning the younger clan that she now knows was never right for her. In fact I think they have enough in common to be a clan. Then the question becomes what do you do when you want to disappear but you have a tracking device implanted. Sorry, but if want me to buy him as a bad guy he has to do something remotely bad first. All this one has done is fall in love, try to protect from planning with youngsters and left clan members who would not accept the woman he loves, quit his job and travel the length of the galaxy to be with her. Makes him the top choice in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you're putting this in Earth terms instead of Kalquor, think of Nang as a John Hinckley to Jodie Foster... An obsessed stalker who is willing to go to any lengths even though she isn't interested in him any longer. He is cheating on his marriage, and has completely abandoned his spouses for someone who doesn't want him, and who is really trying to get away from him. He is stalking her and intends to kidnap her and force her to live with him. Doesn't sound like a top choice in anyone's book.

      Delete
  9. I don't know that all of that is true. Maybe you're on to something. We haven't really heard his side yet. Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if there had been circumstances, he would have mentioned something in this com. You know, "watch out for so & so" or "be careful of this". Instead he goes straight to the "no one can stop me" crazy place.

      Delete