Thursday, October 16, 2014

March 30




I felt so much better this morning, just as I knew I would.  Sleeping snuggled up to Betra made all the difference.  I had no nightmares.  I woke once to go to the bathroom.  The moment I got back in bed and Betra’s arms went around me, making me warm and safe, I was asleep again.  It was wonderful.  Betra as a bedmate is an awesome thing.  I should sleep with him more often, and he might even be agreeable to it ... but I am determined to beat these nightmares first.  I will sleep in my own bed alone tonight, just to prove I can do it.

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one jumping at shadows these days.  Candy is now convinced her quarters are haunted.

She regaled us at breakfast this morning with the story of how she woke up last night, knowing right away something was wrong.  “I could feel it, like when you feel a thunderstorm on its way.  There was this tension in the air, and it built higher and higher with every passing second.”

Katrina was biting her lips together, no doubt amused by Candy’s melodrama.  I have to give her credit for not laughing.  It was a bit much.  It was all I could do to keep my own expression serious.

Candy didn’t pick up on our humor.  She was too busy with her campfire story to notice the looks passing between us.

I asked, “Did it feel like someone was watching you?”

Candy nodded, her curled hair bouncing about her shoulders.  “Oh, most definitely.  And there was this sort of hush, but not the usual quiet.  Like a presence was holding its breath so I wouldn’t know it was there.”

I didn’t know ghosts needed to breathe.  Katrina might have been thinking the same thing, because she decided staring at her plate of food was a good idea at that moment.  It was that or laugh out loud, I’m afraid.

“So I called out, ‘Is someone there?’  But there was still no sound.  I just knew someone was there though.  I could feel it.”

Katrina looked up to give Candy wide eyes.  She’d given up the pretense that she didn’t find the whole thing ridiculous.  “And then what?”

Candy still didn’t catch on.  “And then I saw something move.  Right in the far corner of my sleeping room, where the shadows were deepest.  I couldn’t make out a shape, but I saw this extra darkness there and it shifted just the tiniest bit.”

Katrina clapped her hands to her cheeks.  “Oh my goodness.  What did you do?”

“I jumped right up and yelled for the lights.  They came up right away ... and nothing was there.”  Candy’s tone went all dramatic at that last bit, like delivering the end of a urban legend in which the girl discovers her boyfriend’s bloody corpse.

“No!” Katrina exclaimed, looking more comically horrified than ever.

I couldn’t help it.  I had to laugh at Katrina’s antics.  Candy got pissed off in an instant.

“It’s not funny!  I’m completely serious,” she scowled.  She threw a crispy strip of braised ronka at Katrina.

“Oh stop it, Candy,” our elder friend said, catching the ronka and nibbling on the end.  “A ghost in your quarters?  You’re too old for things like that.”

“A lot you know,” Candy pouted.  “When I was a kid, I had a friend who lived in a place where stuff got moved around all the time.  Her mom was forever putting her keys down in one place and finding them somewhere else.  There are things out there we don’t understand,” she added in a spooky voice.

“Just because we don’t understand them doesn’t mean there isn’t a logical explanation.  Is this the first time something like this has happened in your quarters?”

“Yes, but these things can take time to crank up,” Candy asserted, like she was an expert on the subject.  “Maybe I did something that unknowingly invited a spirit in.”

“Oh for heaven’s sake,” Katrina said, shaking her head.  “Pure bunk.”

I thought it was best I keep my mouth shut on the subject, seeing as how I wasn’t big on the supernatural and Candy acted insulted by Katrina’s teasing.  Unfortunately, Candy turned to me and asked plaintively, “You believe I saw something last night, don’t you, Shalia?”

I did my best to be diplomatic about it.  “I’m sure you think you saw something.  Maybe you just dreamed the whole thing.  Are you sure you were awake?”

She scowled.  “Yes, I’m sure.  Laugh all you want, but something weird happened last night.  I don’t know how I’m supposed to sleep any more with something creepy invading my room.”

I thought about telling her sleeping with a Kalquorian man does wonders for getting rest.  However, that’s a bit more sharing than I care to do right now.  If being friends with Katrina and Candy has taught me anything, it’s that there is a such thing as oversharing.

5 comments:

  1. No TMI?! Pishaw, that's just crazy talk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking, when reading this, that Shalia went through much the same thing before she was kidnapped by Little Creep. So similar in fact, that I'm wondering if there is someone from that ship who managed to get off with Shalia, Oses and the rest of those captives and has been in their stealth mode since sneaking onto the Kalquorian vessel. I didn't think it was funny and don't understand why Shalia didn't wonder as well. Oh, wait, Shalia is a bit clueless about some things she should be paying attention to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking the same way Jalanne. Shalia needs to tell big O about her Friend's feelings. Ya never know who else was on that ship. There was a lot of little Creepies at the "party" maybe one of them did sneek on board. All the Creepies wanted a human, who's to say what one would do to get a hold of one.
    I don't like it. Shalia needs to tell the guys before someone else goes missing or worst "bat crack crazy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying this immensely.So wonderful that your mom's doing better and you are back to telling us this funny, scary, sexy, riveting story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, just love this stuff. Thank you Tracy, your blods make my week. I get up make my tea and read your stuff. It's the best. :0)

    ReplyDelete